AFA E-Lines: Nov 24, 2015
Choose a different E-Lines:
- Vacation Phase II Closes
- Support All United Flight Attendants – The CAUSE Foundation
- International SOS App
- Update Travel Eligibles for 2016 Begins December 1st
- State Department Worldwide Travel Alert
Vacation Phase II (Secondary) Closed
Vacation Phase II (Secondary) bidding closed on November 23, 2015 at 0830 local domicile time. Phase II bid awards have been posted. Vacation Phase III (Tertiary) bidding opens December 1, 2015 at 0830 local domicile time and will close at December 7, 2015 at 0830 local domicile time. For more information on the 2016 Vacation Bidding process visit our website.
Support All United Flight Attendants – The CAUSE Foundation
For over 21 years the CAUSE Foundation has helped more than 1,000 United Flight Attendants and their families who are in financial distress due to illness, injury, disability, or death by distributing over $5 Million to Flight Attendants who are in need of this assistance.
The CAUSE Foundation is supported by monthly donations from Flight Attendants and fundraising events throughout the system. The CAUSE Foundation is NOT affiliated with any other organization. AFA and United Airlines have been of great support to The CAUSE Foundation over the years.
The CAUSE Foundation is currently assisting all pre-Merger United, Continental, and Continental Micronesia Flight Attendants during their time of need. You can become part of the life changing CAUSE Foundation in one of the following ways:
- Make a donation through the CAUSE website at www.thecausefoundation.org either in the form of a recurring monthly donation and/or a one-time donation. Select Donate Now from the menu of available options.
- During the upcoming holiday season, you can also help when you make a purchase online at Amazon. Just go to www.smile.amazon.com and register the CAUSE Foundation in Parker, CO as your charity. (You will have to scroll down until you find The CAUSE Foundation, which is approximately 20th option on the list under CAUSE.) While you pay the same prices for the same merchandise, CAUSE receives .5% of your total purchase. It’s a win/win!!
The CAUSE Foundation is a 501(c)(3) charity by which every dollar you donate is tax-deductible. The CAUSE Foundation is made up of an army of volunteers with only one (1) paid employee. Because of this, their administrative costs are kept low at only 7%.
The CAUSE Foundation is always looking for volunteers. Please go to their website (www.thecausefoundation.org) and do what you can so we can collectively continue to make a difference in the life of Flight Attendants in need.
International SOS App
The International SOS Program to which United is subscribed has developed an assistance App. for your Smartphone.
As the only medical and travel security app integrated into a global assistance infrastructure, you will have a world of capability in your hands.
The App provides:
- One-click dialing to the nearest International SOS Assistance center for whenever the need for help or advice arises.
- Instant access to the latest medical and security alerts for your current location from International SOS and Control Risks (with the capability to browse alerts for other locations)
- On-the-go access to Travel Security Online and Medical Country Guides without the need to type in a membership number
- An electronic copy of our membership number - so it's always at hand.
The International SOS Assistance App is available on Android, BlackBerry, and iPhone devices. You will need to have United’s membership number to activate and to use the App. United’s membership number can be found on your Membership card which was mailed to your home or you can find it on United’s Flying Together website.
To download the International SOS app as well as other useful apps, please visit unitedafa.org.
Update Travel Eligibles for 2016 Begins December 1st
Eligible employees and retirees have the opportunity to update their elections for enrolled friend, spouse, or domestic partner beginning December 1st through December 30th at 7:00 PM CST. If you are not making any changes to your enrolled friend, spouse, or domestic partner, no further action is required.
NOTE: If you currently have buddy passes for 2015 and registered regular buddy pass riders, the names of the regular buddy pass riders will NOT carry over to 2016. Keep in mind, this process does not require a specific enrolment period to register a regular buddy or extended family buddy; however in every instance it is recommended that you allow a minimum of 48 to 72 hours prior to the anticipated travel date for the processing of the registration of any buddy.
Additional information is available from the Travel section of the company’s website under Enrolled Friend. To update your elections, go to the company’s website then Employee Services > My Info > Pass Riders.
State Department Worldwide Travel Alert
As you’ve already been provided through International SOS, the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs has released a Travel Alert, highlighting the current global security environment. The entire text can be viewed at the following link: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/worldwide-travel-alert.html.
We’ve received a number of questions from you not only on this information but asking for a better understanding of what a “Travel Alert” is. For your reference, the Department of State issues Travel Alerts on a short-term basis for items such as an election that is expected to have security challenges, a health issue like Ebola, or information suggesting an elevated risk of terrorist attacks. Travel alerts, while issued with expiration dates, can be updated or extended. This Travel Alert expires on February 24, 2016.
Within the context of this worldwide advisory, Paris continues to recover from the multiple attacks of November 13th. We are fortunate that none of our Members or our fellow employees in Paris were directly involved in these incidents. In addition, the Belgian Government has continued its declared state of emergency through November 30th but plans to re-open schools and the Brussels metro tomorrow. United flights in and out of Brussels (BRU) have not been affected. At this time Corporate Security has advised that there is no information to suggest a credible and/or specific threat against United operations or employees.
As we’ve said consistently, your best defense is a good offense. If you see something out of the ordinary, do not hesitate to involve those responsible for security – the captain on the aircraft, the Ground Security Coordinator (GSC) at the airport or local police authorities when away from work. Adhere to the following recommendations:
- Remain vigilant when in public places or using transportation
- Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid large crowds
- Exercise caution when attending holiday festivals/markets/events
- Monitor local media
- Always follow the advice of local authorities and respect all security controls.
We cannot reiterate too often or strongly enough, while on layover, we strongly urge you to be cautious. Remain vigilant in your surroundings, always aware that a spontaneous event intended to be peaceful, in fact entertaining, can turn violent quickly. Always exercise caution if within the vicinity of any large gathering. We encourage you to review our Layover Safety Information and never refer to specific layover locations by hotel name in social media, onboard the aircraft or in other public areas. All of our safety depends on it.