IAH Council 42, January 2017 scheduling update
The January flight attendant schedule month is 31 days, beginning December 30, 2016, and ending on January 29, 2017. There is a contractual paid holiday New Year’s Day January 1st.
Changes for January Flying: On November 28, after the International and Domestic DSL pairings had already been created for the January schedule month, the company announced the seasonal suspension of service between the IAH/MUC market effective January 8, 2017 with service resuming the first week of April 2017. This late change to the January schedule month will contribute to an increased FA on reserve percentage in IAH for January to approximately 26% of the active FA population vs. approximately 21% in December. We would like to advise flight attendants to keep this in mind when submitting bids for January and to bid to cover yourself.
January International Flying includes HNL, LIM, MUC (ends January 8), GRU, SCL, Mexico, Central America and Caribbean flying.
Line Averages: For January are 72:49 for domestic (down from 73:55 in December) and 73:34 for international (down from 75:28 in December). Line averages are extremely low in most crew complements, creating challenges for the committee. The low line averages combined with uneven distribution throughout the month continues to require mixing of ID’s within many of the lines, in order to meet company quotas.
- 362 line holders for January, an increase of 22 from December. This includes 17 qualified purser lines, no change from December.
- Fewer very early morning check-ins. Only 6 IDs for January that have check-ins 0430 or earlier. Security in terminal C opens at 03:35.
- We continue to have IDs that have a 787 segment in them. These operate between IAH/SFO market.
- 332 line holders for January, a decrease of 26 from December. This includes 66 purser lines, an increase of 15 from December.
- 52 Spanish lines, an increase of 12.
- No German lines.
- 15 Portuguese lines, an increase of one.
- For the month of January there will be 25 reserve lines. One will be built with 13 days off and one will be built with 14 days off. All remaining reserve lines will be built with the contractual minimum of 12 days off.
We would like to remind Reserve Flight Attendants who were awarded a Reserve line with more than 12 days off and did not bid for such line, have the option provided in Section 10.D.1.a.(4.). of our Contract. This section states - No later than three (3) days prior to the schedule change (first day of the new schedule month) – a Reserve who did not bid for but was assigned a line with the number of days exceeding the monthly applicable minimum number of days off (12), at her/his option, may contact Crew Scheduling to be assigned additional days of availability and have her/his reserve minimum guarantee adjusted (back to 78 hours). The days that will be restored are indicated in the monthly Reserve lines with a "Z".
We welcome Katherine (Kat) Burns to the schedule committee this month. Kat is a new hire flight attendant who recently transferred into IAH from EWR.
As always, a complete scheduling report is available from the Central Schedule Committee (CSC), on the unitedafa.org website. Our monthly report provides more detailed information of all scheduling issues pertaining to IAH. Your IAH schedule committee is always available –should you have any questions or concerns.
Cory, Kim, Craig, Dawn, Bettina, Luis and Kat
Local Council Elections "Voting is now Open"
Voting for the New Council 42 is now open. Ballots were mailed on November 29th and voting will remain open until 12pm Eastern on December 21st. If you have not received your voting credentials you can contact AFA-CWA Membership Department by calling 800-424-2401.