E-Lines: December 01, 2017
December 1, 2017
2018 Vacation Modifications Options are Now Available in CCS
Effective November 30, 2017 the following two vacation modification options are now available in CCS. Details outlining the processes for either vacation option can be found in the 2018 Flight Attendant Vacation Modification Guide.
Flight Attendant to Flight Attendant Trades
- Began on November 30, 2017 at 1500 Home Domicile Time (HDT) and trading closes at 2359 (HDT) on the 15th of the month before the earliest of the calendar months involved in the trade.
- Trades for January 2018 must be submitted by December 15, 2017 at 2359 HDT
Vacation Fly Through
- Began November 30, 2017, at 1500 (HDT) and closes at 1000 (HDT) on the 5th day of the calendar month before the month in which the vacation is scheduled.
- Requests for January 2018 must be submitted by December 5, 2017, at 1000 HDT
Additional information can be found on our website, Unitedafa.org.
Vacation Open Time Trades Begin December 5
On December 5, 2017, instant ‘open time’ vacation trades open at 8:00 AM Local Domicile Time (LDT), and will remain open throughout the balance of the 2018 schedule year. In order to trade, submit a vacation trade with open time request. The trade request must be submitted thirty (30) days before the earliest calendar month involved in the trade.
Additional information concerning the Vacation Open Time Trade option, including a step-by-step guide on how to submit a trade on CCS, is available in the 2018 Vacation Modification Guide.
Flight Attendants wishing to trade with open time not currently available should continue to check the allocation matrix because the following circumstances can affect available vacation days.
- Any vacation days awarded, that are vacated at a later date (e.g.. separation from company, retirement, etc.) will be added to the allocations.
- If a Flight Attendant trades down to fewer vacation days with another Flight Attendant or for open vacation days, any surplus of unused days will be added to the allocations for use by another Flight Attendant.
Absence Certificate Required for Holiday Sick Calls
As provided for in Section 13.C.4. of the JCBA, management has advised the Union that an Absence Certificate will be required for all sick calls that begin during the period starting December 20, 2017 - January 4, 2018. This requirement will also apply in those instances where sick leave is used to care for a spouse or minor child as set forth in Section 13.D.7.
Flight Attendants who place themselves on sick leave during the period starting December 20, 2017 - January 4, 2018 will be required under the terms of our JCBA to supply United Medical with an Absence Certificate (Section 13.C.4.). Flight Attendants using approved FMLA during these specified holiday dates are also required to provide the Absence Certificate for any sick leave during this same period. There is only one exception to this rule. Flight Attendants who have had no absences during the prior twelve (12) calendar months are not subject to the Absence Certificate requirement that applies during the holiday period.
Keep in mind that a physician’s note can also be used to reduce the points assessed for any sick leave used during this period by ½ point. Keep in mind that a physician’s note is not the same as an Absence Certificate. Because Absence Certificates include medical information to which supervisors are not entitled to see, it is strongly recommended that you provide the Absence Certificate only to United Medical.
In order to comply with the criteria for an Absence Certificate:
- Print out the Absence Certificate Form (from Flying Together) and bring a copy with you to your physician's appointment.
- The Absence Certificate must be prepared and signed by the physician after an in-person visit by the Flight Attendant to the physician’s office.
- Flight Attendants must actually be seen by an accredited physician in a timely manner, but no later than 72 hours after notifying Scheduling of an illness/injury.
- The Absence Certificate must be submitted to United Medical via fax at (847)-700-2600 on or before check-in time of a Line-holder’s first trip, or a Reserve’s first assignment including Airport Alert and Standby Reserve, following an illness or injury.
- If a physician’s release (Absence Certificate) is not received, the Flight Attendant will have 72 hours after her/his first trip flown, Airport Alert or Standby Reserve assignment to provide the Absence Certificate.
December Contractual Holidays
Section 2.Q. of our JCBA requires that Flight Attendants receive additional pay for assignments on designated holidays. Flight Attendants based in the United States, including Guam, the United Kingdom, Hong Kong and Germany with assignments on Christmas Day will receive holiday pay. Flight Attendants in NRT observe the Emperor’s birthday, December 23rd, as their Contractual holiday. Holiday Pay is calculated and paid as outlined in Section 4.I of our JCBA.
Find more information, including examples of holiday pay calculations on our MEC website at unitedafa.org.
(pmUA) Reserve Christmas Wish List Begins December 5, 2017
Tis the season for Reserve Flight Attendants to indicate their layover choices around the Christmas holiday.
Pre-merger United Flight Attendants on Reserve for the month of December, have an opportunity to preference where they would like to layover for the three (3) days preceding and two (2) days following Christmas. Section 10.C.13.c. of the pre-merger United Contract provides for the Reserve Christmas Wish List and for these assignments to be made in seniority order.
Beginning December 5, 2017, pmUA Reserve Flight Attendants may submit up to four holiday layover requests through the link available on our AFA website. When submitting your requests, you will be asked for your Reserve LOF number, as well as your Reserve status. This information can be obtained by accessing Unimatic.
We encourage you to put an initial request on file early and modify your request should your circumstances change later in the month. The last request on file will be the request that will be considered at the time of assignment. The submission page on our website will detail the dates of your request and must be finalized to be considered.
Christmas Wish List (CWL) requests must be on file according to the following schedule:
Prior to the Reserve assignment
Requests need to
be input by:
22 December 2017
Noon CST on 20 December 2017
23 December 2017
Noon CST on 21 December 2017
24 December 2017
Noon CST on 22 December 2017
25 December 2017
Noon CST on 23 December 2017
26 December 2017
Noon CST on 24 December 2017
27 December 2017
Noon CST on 25 December 2017
Note: If you submitted a CWL request prior to December 5, 2017, it will not be considered. You must resubmit any layover request entered prior to December 5, 2017.
United Crew Scheduling will make every attempt to accommodate the Reserve Christmas Wish List layover requests to the best of their ability.
2018 Pass Travel Enrollment Period Open
Flight Attendants who desire to change their 2018 Pass Travel preferences may do so beginning December 4, 2017 through December 28, 2017 (up to 7pm CT).
During Pass Travel Enrollment, employees can elect from the following options:
- Choose between a second enrolled friend or regular buddy passes.
- Choose your enrolled friend(s) names or remove names to keep slots open to designate later in 2018
- Choose your regular buddy names.
If, on the other hand, you do not want to make any changes for next year, no action is required and
- Your election for a second enrolled friend or regular buddy passes will automatically rollover.
- Your current enrolled friend(s) and extend family buddies automatically rollover.
- The names of designated regular buddies expire at December 31 at midnight. This will create twelve (12) open slots that can be filled if you choose regular buddy passes for 2018.
- Once the enrollment period closes, no changes can be made to you elections.
- Your enrolled friends and buddy pass riders names must match exactly to what appears on their travel documents (i.e. Driver’s license or Passport.)
Enrolled Friend Boarding Priorities – For your consideration:
Enrolled friend accompanied by employee, retiree or spouse/domestic partner on Vacation ePass
Enrolled friend travelling unaccompanied on a Vacation ePass
Enrolled friend accompanied by the employee or employee’s spouse/domestic partner
Enrolled friend accompanied by the retiree or retiree’s spouse/domestic partner
Enrolled friend unaccompanied on a personal ePass
For more information, access the Travel tab on the company’s website which will take you to the Pass Travel Enrollment page. To make new elections, go to the Travel tab > Update pass riders, or you can simply click here starting Dec. 4. Answers to any other questions are available by going to the Employee Services tab > United ServiceAnywhere.
CAUSE Foundation Holiday Scarves and Ties
CAUSE volunteers will be available throughout December in your base crew rooms, selling holiday scarves and ties in support of our United Flight Attendants who are unable to work due to illness, injury or disability. The cost is $5.00 for the female scarf and $10 for the male tie. Visit their website to find a CAUSE volunteer in your base to coordinate a date and time to make purchase. Additionally, you may purchase these holiday accessories during the upcoming holiday markets throughout the system.
For those who are not familiar with CAUSE, the Foundation is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization founded in 1994 that provides grants to United Flight Attendants who are in financial need due to illness, injury or disability. CAUSE is funded solely by the generous contributions of Flight Attendants via donations received through their website or United automatic payroll deduction.
Omni Air International Flight Attendants Ratify First Contract
Flight Attendants at charter airline Omni Air International, represented by the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA), voted by 78 percent to ratify a first contract. The agreement provides immediate pay raises, defined schedule and work rules as well as job security with due process.
Omni Air International, based in Tulsa, Oklahoma, operates international and domestic passenger charters. In addition, Omni Air also provides cargo and troop airlift for the U.S. military. The contract was reached with the assistance of the National Mediation Board.
Visit our website to read the complete article.
Reminders and Quick Links
December 4 2018 Pass Travel Enrollment Opens
December 5 Vacation Open Time Trades Begin
December 5 (pmUA) Reserve Christmas Wish List Available
December 15 Last Date to Order your Tumi Luggage for 2017 Delivery
December 23 Contractual Holiday for NRT – Emperor’s Birthday
December 25 Contractual Holiday for domiciles in U.S., GUM, HKG, LHR & FRA