Company to Award One Month COLA and Jobshare Programs – September 2017
June 27, 2017
Effective with the September 2017 bid month, all Flight Attendants will be able to participate in a One Month Cola and Jobshare program. The COLA and Jobshare programs are provided for under Sections 15 and 16 of the Joint Collective Bargaining Agreement (JCBA). Be aware that some provisions of these programs may still fall under your current pre-merger contract.
While the Company Offered Leave of Absence (COLA) programs were harmonized earlier this year, we look forward to implementation of Jobshares for pmUAL Flight Attendants and additional enhancements to Jobshares for pmCAL and pmCMI. The following is a brief overview of the program for your review.
What is the difference between Company Offered Leaves and Jobshares?
One month Company Offered Leaves of Absence (COLAs) allow for an unpaid leave of absence. Flight Attendants are responsible for the full premium cost for medical benefits for the duration of the COLA. (Refer to Section 15.B. and 15.N. of the JCBA.)
Jobshares provide for the sharing of a line of flying by two Flight Attendants from the same base, for a one month period. There are two types of Jobshares: matched and unmatched.
· Matched Jobshare: Flight Attendants select partners before bids open. Both Flight Attendants will bid and specify each other as partners and these are awarded at the seniority of the senior partner.
· Unmatched Jobshare: Flight Attendants will bid without specifying a partner and will be awarded based on seniority and qualifications.
Who is eligible to be awarded a one month COLA or Jobshare?
· In order to be awarded a one month COLA or Jobshare, you must projected to be active for the advertised bid month.
· Bids must be submitted no later than 10:00AM Home Domicile Time on the 20th of the 2nd bid month prior to the bid month in which the COLA or Jobshare will occur. In this instance, July 20th for the award of the September bid month.
· If you are transferring, awards will be processed using your projected base assignment for the bid month requested.
How do these programs apply based on pre-merger affiliation?
The Jobshare program is new for pre-merger United Flight Attendants.
pmCAL and pmCMI Flight Attendants under the prior program were only able to make matched Jobshare requests. The language of the JCBA provides for Unmatched Jobshares - a new concept for all Flight Attendants.
How do I bid for these Jobshares and COLAs?
Beginning June 28, 2017, all Flight Attendants will use CCS to bid for one month COLAs and Jobshares for the September 2017 bid month and beyond with one notable exception.
For the month of August 2017, to the extent COLAs are offered, pmUAL Flight Attendants interested in a one-month COLA for the August 2017 bid month will use Unimatic to bid.
All Flight Attendants will use CCS to submit a bid.
· pmCO and pmCMI Flight Attendants will log into CCS to submit bids.
· pmUAL will log into CCS to submit bids. CCS log-in instructions can be found in the CCS Login User Guide located on Flying Together.
When do bids open and close for the September 2017 COLA & Jobshare programs?
One month COLAs and Jobshares are expected to be available for the September 2017 bid month. Bidding for the September 2017 programs will open on June 28, 2017. The bid period for the September 2017 bid month will close July 20, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. Home Domicile Time.
Note: The timing of the award of the September 2017 one month COLA and Jobshare is a change for pmCAL and pmCMI Flight Attendants. Previously the bid period closed on the 5th of the preceding month.
What is the award process for bids for COLAs and Jobshares?
· Requests for one month COLAs and Jobshares are combined into a single list, in seniority order.
· One month COLAs and Jobshares are awarded in the same process.
· Matched Jobshares require both partners to submit a bid. Each partner must submit a bid specifying the other partner in order to be considered.
· Matched Jobshares are awarded based on the seniority of the senior partner.
· Once all matched Jobshares have been awarded in conjunction with one month COLAs, in seniority order, if the opportunity to award additional time off exists, unmatched Jobshares will be paired and remaining COLAs will be awarded in seniority order.
How do Jobshares affect my benefits?
While on a Jobshare, a Flight Attendant will
· Accrue vacation in accordance with JCBA Section 12
· Accrue sick leave based on her/his pre-merger Contract
· Compensation is paid to each partner based on her/his individual pay rates including overrides, premiums and incentives.
How are overlap ID/pairings handled?
A Flight Attendant awarded a one month COLA with a end of month ID that carries over (overlaps) into the month of the COLA, she/he may be required to fly the overlap ID. By the end of the day on the 25th of the month preceding the effective day of the COLA, a list will be published in each base indicating whether flying the trip will be necessary.
Note: All requests made by pmCAL and pmCMI Flight Attendants that were submitted prior to June 28 for the September 2017 bid month and beyond will be purged from the system. If you are interested in time off for the September 2017 bid month and you submitted a request before June 28, you must re-submit your request in order to be considered.