Home > News > Clarification of Out of Base Pickup by International Based Flight Attendants

Clarification of Out of Base Pickup by International Based Flight Attendants

Date: February 15, 2019

As outlined in Chapter 10 of the Trip Trades and Adjustment Guide, Section B details the circumstances under which Flight Attendants at International bases may pick up pairings from open time or as advertisements, subject to certain requirements. These include the following:

1.    Flight Attendants in the fifty (50) United States and Guam may pick up any pairings from another base.

2.    Flight Attendants based in HKG, FRA, LHR and NRT may only pick up International pairings from another base.

3.    International pairings are those pairings containing only flying to/from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and Antarctica. Flying to/from Guam and any other island countries outside of the Caribbean is also considered international flying.

4.    Due to work visa requirements, Flight Attendants based in HKG, NRT, FRA and LHR may not pick up domestic pairings or mixed international pairings from another base.

(HKG, LHR, NRT and FRA are limited to picking up international pairings only.)

5.    Domestic and mixed International pairings involve flying within the United States, Mexico, Canada, Central America or the Caribbean. 

6.    Flight Attendants based in HKG, FRA, LHR and NRT may not pick up pairings between HNL and GUM.

We’ve recently received additional clarification on how Flight Attendants from international bases are to enter the United States when they intend to work international flight(s) departing the United States. 

New Information

When entering the United States intending to pick up international flying working from a U.S. base, Flight Attendants without a U.S. Passport/green card should be using their C1/D visa to enter the United States even when entering the country on a personal travel pass. Using a tourist visa to enter the U.S. for the purpose of picking up an International flight working from the United States is to be avoided based on recommendations from Labor Relations.

When working the International flight from the U.S., use you C1/D Visa for departure and re-entry to the United States to remain in compliance.

Share this page:

More News