Tis the Season, Reserve Christmas Wish List
November 30, 2021
T’was the night before Christmas and all through the base,
Not a Reserve was stirring, not even a standby in place,
The assignments were gifted by scheduling with care,
Because of the Wishlist, Reserves knew was there.
When out on the line there arose such a clatter,
The standbys on duty were all a chatter,
Away to the CCS screen the Reserves did find
Assignments were made with nothing but wishes in mind.
The Reserve Wish List will open midnight of December 1st. If members have placed a request on file prior to this opening it will be deleted.
Reserve Christmas Wish List (RCWL) is a Reserve assignment procedure that is provided for in Section 8.H.8.c. of our Contract. At Christmas, for the three (3) days preceding and two (2) days following the holiday, Reserve Flight Attendants may indicate their choice of up to four (4) layover stations where they wish to be on the holiday. If legal and available, requests will be awarded in Inflight seniority order.
AccessReserve Christmas Wish List (RCWL) in one of three ways:
1. Via www.unitedafa.org/wishlist,
2. Via CCS under the Reserve tab or
3. Via the Quick Links section of Inflight Services webpage.
To accommodate these preferences during the RCWL period, and prior to running the Reserve Preferencing System, under the terms of the Contract, Crew Scheduling employs a manual procedure that differs from that of assigning by Time Accrued (TMAC) order and Reserve ordering (which is described in Section 8.C. of the Contract.) The RCWL process places the individual Flight Attendant's layover request as the main consideration for pairing assignments, in seniority order.
Flight Attendants will be assigned within their designated sub-base.
Starting at 1400 HDT and concluding at 1645 HDT on the day prior, assignments will be made by matching the available Reserves with open pairings according to their RCWL layover choices.
These choices of layover locations are not ranked 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. If any of the listed choices are available, the most senior, legal Reserve requesting that layover should be awarded the trip.
- Scheduling will proceed through the open trip file, granting as many wishes as possible.
- Once all possible RCWL requests have been awarded, Crew Scheduling will create a record of all granted RCWL requests and will return to the Contractual Reserve assignment procedures without further consideration of CWL requests for the assignment day:
- At approximately 1700 HDT the remaining open trips will be assigned to remaining Reserves using the Reserve Preferencing System.
- Any pairings that become open while the Reserve Preferencing System is running will be assigned during the subsequent clean-up process in day-of-availability and TMAC order, in accordance with Section 8.C. of the Contract.
- Scheduling will complete the process by assigning the remaining Reserves to either Ready Reserve status or will be Released for the following day.
Some important points to remember:
- The CWL system officially opens on December 1st, 2021.Any layover preferences input prior to that date must be re-entered in order to be considered for the 2021 CWL period.
- CWL preferences may only be entered via the online portal. Requests will not be accepted over the telephone by contacting scheduling.
- Only one (1) CWL request may be granted per Flight Attendant during the CWL period.
- CWL requests will be considered and granted within each of the following sub-bases as applicable: Regular Reserve (FA), International Purser Reserve (FM-L) and each Language Qualified Reserve group (LS).
- Requested assignments that require a Flight Attendant to “opt” will be granted, and the Flight Attendant will be automatically opted for the balance of the month.
- Flight Attendants will not be deadheaded to other bases in order to grant their wish.
- Reserves assigned as part of CWL shall be released to check-in and shall not be subject to displacement from the pairing by a Lineholder, consistent with Section 8.D.11. of the Contract.
- Assignments made to Ready and Standby Reserves will not consider CWL layover requests.
- Preferences may be altered at any time up until the deadline for each day (see below schedule). Only the latest request/update made prior to each deadline will be considered.
Prior to theReserve assignment process for:
Requests need to be input by:
0600 HDT on 21 December
0600 HDT on 22 December
0600 HDT on 23 December
0600 HDT on 24 December
0600 HDT on 25 December
0600 HDT on 26 December
If you have additional questions, please contact your Local Reserve Representatives.