2022 Benefits: Certify Tobacco Free Wellness Credit & Avoid Spousal Surcharge
December 10, 2021
2022 Benefits – Certify Tobacco Free Wellness Credit & Avoid Spousal Surcharge – Expect Calls Next Week
As we have reminded everyone over the course of the past week, anyone who did not make a benefits election during this year’s annual open enrollment period, there was a requirement for everyone to certify for the tobacco free wellness credit and to avoid the spousal (domestic partner) benefits surcharge. If you did not elect benefits or certify for the wellness credit or to avoid the spousal surcharge, it must be understood that the wellness credit will cease and, if married or having a domestic partner, the spousal surcharge will be automatically applied. In addition to the rate increases that applied for 2022 benefits, this will substantially increase the cost of your benefits.
The good news – you still have time to ensure the wellness credit is applied and to avoid the application of the spousal surcharge. To do so, sign into the company’s website and access YBR (Your Benefits Resource). Once on the YBR page, select the blue “Make Changes” button. You are not required to make changes to any of your benefits, but you must certify for the non-smoker wellness credit as well as to avoid the spousal surcharge.
United management shares our concern about those who made no election and the impact of these changes on the premium rates that will be applied, and payroll deducted from our first paycheck of January, which will be dated January 3, 2022.
In order to create additional awareness, next week the company will employ the services of an auto-dialer that will place calls only to the homes of those employees, including Flight Attendants, who did not make elections during the Annual Enrollment period. In the implementation of the plan to use the auto-dialer to place these calls, AFA reminded management that many of our Members are currently serving Reserve and may have unique sleep patterns based on the mixture of assignments they may receive. We expressed our strong view that repeated dialing over a prolonged period of time is not in anyone’s best interest. To that end, management will employ the auto-dialers with the following understanding:
- Calls will be made only to those employees who took NO action during this year’s annual open enrollment (AE).
- Outbound calls with an automated message will begin Monday, December 13, 2021, starting at noon Central Time with the latest call of the day being made at 6:00 PM CT.)
- A maximum of three (3) attempts will be made at least one hour apart.
- Once the call is answered or a voicemail picks up, a recorded message will be delivered, and no further calls will occur.
- If, on the other hand, the Flight Attendant does not answer or there is no voicemail setup (or it is full), two successive calls will be placed to the number in an effort to reach the employee.
These changes can easily be made on the YBR website using the automation in place. However, if you have additional questions, contact United’s Benefits Service Center.