Home > News > Passport Renewal Procedures

Passport Renewal Procedures

Date: April 9, 2021

Please be aware that passport renewal procedures are frequently changing because of the COVID pandemic.  As a result, Flight Attendants are urged to visit the following link on Flying Together:

My Work>Policies and Procedures>International Information>Passports and visas>COVID-19 Passport Documents before beginning the process.  The below procedures are current as of today but are subject to change without notice.

Because of the COVID pandemic, airline flight crews are currently instructed to mail passport renewal applications to the National Passport Center (NPC).  The Department of State Passport Services no longer permits flight crews to schedule an appointment at a passport agency to renew their passports.  Only passport books will be issued.  To be eligible for renewal, your passport must be expiring within seven months or less.   

Application and mailing instructions:

  • DS-82 application (available at travel.state.gov)
  • Your current passport
  • A passport photograph
  • A company letter that includes your name, reason for the urgency, statement of need for work-related international travel, supervisor details and the date the letter was issued (obtainable via Help Hub)
  • A check or money order made payable to the U.S. Department of State.  For information regarding passport fees, please visit travel.state.gov

In order to receive a reimbursement, flight attendants will need to take a picture of their check or money order or you may use a copy of the processed check/money order from your financial provider (as you will not receive a receipt from the USDOS).  United reimburses for the cost of the passport, expedite fees, passport required photo and until further notice, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, overnight delivery fee.  Submit your request for reimbursement via Concur.

Additional information can be found online at Inflight>Policies and Procedures>Passports & Visas

Please note that after mailing your passport, you must notify United that you have surrendered your passport.  Go to CCS>Schedule>Passports>Passport Surrender Information.  Upon receiving your new, updated passport, you must return to CCS>Schedule>Passports to input the information from your new passport and notify United that you are now in possession of a valid passport.

Share this page:

More News