Home > News > Call Wait Times and Obtaining Lodging through Self-help

Call Wait Times and Obtaining Lodging through Self-help

Date: August 11, 2022

As part of our advocacy, we previously discussed that having Flight Attendants wait extended periods of time to secure hotel rooms does not support the operation. Flight Attendants should not be required to reduce their already shortened rest periods, and we cautioned the company about the likelihood of an increase in fatigue claims as a result of these delays in rescheduling.

As a reminder, when lodging is not provided by the company, Flight Attendants are eligible for reasonable, actual expenses incurred for lodging, and the request for reimbursement must be substantiated by a receipt. 

Don’t be afraid to act in your best interests. United is responsible for our safety on layovers. If the company resources dedicated to providing this support to Flight Attendants do not deliver the desired result, take care of yourself. If one of our flying partners is in trouble and doesn’t have the expendable cash or a credit card to take care of it, help them out if you can.

Once at the hotel, you should notify the Crew Desk of your layover contact information. Keep in mind, the Hotel Desk is not the Crew Desk. In some instances, the Hotel Desk can arrange to cover the cost of the hotel rooms by sending a voucher directly to the hotel, and this will avoid the need for you to seek reimbursement for the hotel room. Don’t hesitate to ask for this assistance and employ self-help to ensure your proper rest.

When you return to your domicile, submit a claim for reimbursement using the Concur™ system. In addition to filling out an expense report in Concur™ with receipts attached, you are strongly encouraged to document your experience by writing an AFA Hotel Report which can be accessed from our website at www.unitedafa.org. Always include the names of the persons with whom you’ve spoken at both the Hotel Desk and Crew Accommodations. 

As a reminder, make copies for yourself of the expense report, and receipts. If you are not reimbursed promptly, file a Local Council Worksheet and call your Local Council Office for assistance.

Share this page:

More News