Understanding White Flag Pay
June 29, 2023
White Flag applies to all pairings in Open Time on the date it is declared whereas Purple Flag is used to designate specific pairings to which the incentive payment will apply.
We want to clear up some confusion around how pay protection works when picking up a White or Purple Flag trip. As has been indicated in all White/Purple Flag notifications:
- White/Purple Flag pay is for all credited hours flown for the pairing.
- If a White/Purple Flag pairing operates as scheduled, Flight Attendants will be paid the incentive for the pairing.
- If the White/Purple Flag pairing is canceled and the Flight Attendant is reassigned to another pairing, White/Purple Flag pay applies based on hours actually flown.
However, the Flight Attendant’s base rate of pay is protected based on the value of the original pairing they picked up or the reassigned pairing, whichever is greater.
Examples (applies to both White and Purple Flag pairings):
- If you pick up a two-day White Flag pairing with a value of ten (10) hours and that pairing cancels without reassignment, you are pay protected for the ten (10) hours. White Flag pay will not apply because there have been no hours flown.
- If you pick up a two-day White Flag pairing with a value of ten (10) hours and that pairing cancels and you are reassigned to pairing with a value of seven (7) hours, you are pay protected for the ten (10) hours in your guarantee and will receive seven (7) hours of White Flag pay.
- If you pick up a two-day White Flag pairing with a value of ten (10) hours and that pairing cancels and you are reassigned to pairing with a value of twelve (12) hours, you will be paid twelve (12) hours at the White Flag pay rate for the greater value of the hours flown.
- If you were to pick up a White/Purple Flag pairing and subsequently place yourself on sick leave, to the extent you have sick leave available, you will be paid for the value of the pairing. White Flag pay will not apply.
If you have additional questions, please refer to the following articles: