Among AFA-CWA's most important responsibilities is the advancement of issues important to Flight Attendants and
our industry on Capitol Hill. The United Master Executive Council has a Government Affairs Committee Chair and Local
Council Committees made up of volunteer activists. These dedicated individuals regularly travel to Washington, D.C.,
to walk the halls of Congress and lobby on the issues that affect Flight Attendants. Because we're the ones who
work on the aircraft everyday, we're the ones who know what issues matter most. Together with the constant support
of AFA's professional staff, we are our own best advocates.
Show more...Show Less...
The Government Affairs Committee members keep Flight Attendants informed of legislative actions that could affect
our working conditions, our job security and our safety, health and security. These volunteers also conduct voter
registration and get-out-the-vote drives, promote AFA's Political Action Committee, FlightPAC, and actively participate
in campaigns for AFA endorsed candidates. AFA encourages its members to be politically active on the local, state
and federal levels - and support those members of Congress who consistently support Flight Attendants.
Many Government Affairs Committee members are involved in their local labor communities and serve as delegates
to Central Labor Councils or as Executive Board members on the state level of the AFL-CIO. These delegates provide
AFA greater access to AFL-CIO organizations and ensure that our issues and concerns get the full support of the
local labor movement.
The relationships that the United AFA Government Affairs Committee members have built with many Congressional
offices have enabled us to seek Congressional support in many different ways. When United announced their intention
to seek changes to retiree medical benefits the United MEC and Government Affairs Committee persuaded over 110 House
offices and 20 Senate offices to contact United Airlines about this unjust proposal.
AFA-CWA is known on Capitol Hill as the world's largest Flight Attendant Union and the only one that represents
a cross-section of our entire profession. For decades, members of Congress and the federal government have not only
respected our knowledge of the industry, but have turned to us in times of crisis.
When legislation that affects Flight Attendants is being proposed, AFA is the first and in most cases, the only
Union that is contacted because of our status as the largest representative of Flight Attendants. Our steadfast
work on behalf of Flight Attendants and aviation safety has increased our visibility for a well respected presence
on Capitol Hill. Our greatest successes have been achieved when the United AFA Government Affairs Committee join
the Government Affairs representatives from the other AFA carriers and speak with one voice.
Latest Government Affairs Updates
- Biden Administration to Require Vaccination to Enter U.S. (September 22, 2021)
- Updating Your Password on www.unitedafa.org (September 22, 2021)
- FAA reaches $1 million benchmark in fines issued to unruly passengers (August 19, 2021)
- U.S. SEC prepares to take on corporate America over workforce disclosures (August 15, 2021)
- NLRB Recommends Amazon Union Election Results Be Scrapped Over Improprieties (August 3, 2021)
- Airlines demand trans-Atlantic travel restarts, as Biden prepares for G-7 trip (June 5, 2021)
- Georgia Senatorial Seats Headed to a Runoff Election (November 14, 2020)
- Our Number 1 Priority: Extend PSP (November 14, 2020)
- Georgia Senatorial Seats Headed to a Runoff Election. (November 11, 2020)
- Ready to Vote? (October 30, 2020)
- Ready to Vote? (October 29, 2020)
- Your Vote is Your Voice: Make it Heard! (October 24, 2020)
- Your Vote is Your Voice: Make it Heard! (October 22, 2020)
- Everyday Counts: Take Action to #ExtendPSP Now! (October 17, 2020)
- Your Vote is Your Voice: Make it Heard! (October 17, 2020)
- Time is Running Out! - Register to Vote! – It’s your Right (October 8, 2020)
- 5 More Days - Take Action to Save Our Jobs (September 26, 2020)
- Register to Vote! – It’s your Right. (September 24, 2020)
- Save Our Jobs & Join #ReliefNow Actions (September 9, 2020)
- CARES Act Payroll Support Program Extension – It Matters for all of us. (September 2, 2020)